20 January 2009

Where were you?

When Barack Obama was sworn in as the 44th President of the United States of America. I was holding my little boy, saying a little prayer for the new hope that he brings with his inaugration.

The occasion seems to be miles away but the impact is real. It gives new hope. It opens previously locked doors, it holds promise. What was unthinkable a few decades ago is now reality. What was a dream is now alive.

Each day we are faced with the way things used to be and the way things have always been. This day has broken all traditional convention. For me, i has brought new hope. Hope that the glass ceiling can be shattered, maybe not today but one day. Maybe not by me, but by someone like me in the future.

What I can do in the meantime is fight, stand firm....and be strong, if not for myself, for the ones that will come after me. Who knows? I hope to live to see that day!

No comments: