05 October 2007

You are what you eat

Since the advent of Munchkin, evening meals have had to be carefully planned and these plans executed to military precision. The basic plan is simple. I (with some help from T) decide what we are having at some point during the day, I prepare the ingredients (with Munchkin) and when T comes home, he puts the dinner on while I sort Munchkin out for the night. This ensures that we have a proper meal each evening, together and has worked a treat so far.

Yesterday, sausages and mash were on the menu. I dutifully prepared the ingredients and everything was put in saucepans etc ready to go. T got home and informed me that he had had a sausage roll for breakfast and sausages and mash for lunch...but being the dear that he is (and reflecting his fondness for sausages and mash) he agreed, matyr fashion that having this for the second time (or indeed the third) was fine.

By 19:45 munchkin was in dreamland and I joined T in the kitchen. We have been trying to be good and subscribe to an organic vegetable seasonal box weekly to help towards our 5-a-day. As I was dishing out the broccoli, I noticed something at the end of the serving spoon. It turned out to be a steamed catterpiller. Now, you can't get more organic than that, can you? T then informed me that the fruit box he had taken in to work the previous day had 3 lots of wildlife in it. Hmm...well, I guess if it is good enough for the wildlife it ought to be good enough for us. Gillian McKeith eat your heart out!!

No comments: