17 September 2007

The eagle, his wife, children etc

You know that eagle that landed on Saturday? Well, he forgot to mention that his wife, his multiple children, their spouses, his grandchildred and some neighbours were arriving on Sunday....all at the same time.

We have been planning a surprise for some dear friends for ages. The surprise was to take place at approximately 1230. At 1130, I thought it would be a good idea to try and put munchkin down for a nap. So, up the wooden steps we went with the hope the Bedfordshire would be nigh. Munchkin played in his cot for a bit cooing and gurgling, then he yawned...yes! The train was approaching Bedfordshire. T had nipped out to get some paper plates and extra charcoal (he likes playing with fire!).

Suddenly, Munchkin SCREAMED! He was inconsolable. I picked him up and noticed a familiar yeasty smell permeating from his person. So, like any responsible parents about to receive company, I decided to change him. EEK! As a removed Munchkin's clothing I noticed mustard all the way up his back and in his hair.....what was I to do? This hadn't happened before. I set to work, trying to get his clothes off. This didn't work as clothes were affixed to his person by said mustard. I decided we would continue to mission in the bathroom....

I picked Munchkin up but the mustardy slick resulted in an eel like munchkin. He slid out of my arms and onto the floor with a little thump. I managed to get him into the bath and decided that he needed to be hosed off. I proceeded to do this only to have our wretched high water pressure get the better of me....the shower found a mind of its own and decided to behave ala a cobra being charmed by a snake charmer.....and resulted in Munchkin being squirted square in the face and the orchids high on the shelf getting a watering (saves T a job later!)

Munchkin was hosed down and bathed when the doorbell went. The first guests had arrived. I composed myself and answered the door (with Munchkin in arms wrapped in a towel - I could have said it was a toga party I suppose!). T arrived home at the same time so I bolted upstairs got munchkin dressed and down for a nap.

I then noticed that the mustard had decorated my previously white top. Ah well, I didn't really want to wear that top anyway.

No comments: