24 September 2007

Isn't it romantic?

Munchkin went to sleep on cue on Saturday night and T and I had a candlelit dinner complete with alcoholic beverages to set the scene. What I haven't told you is that true to life in this part of the country, we were experiencing a power cut. This threw me somewhat as I had been very organised that day. All the preparations for dinner had been made in the early evening (witnessed by munchkin in his chair) and all we needed to do was to switch the oven on when Munchkin started feeding and dinner would be ready when munchkin drifted into the land of nod for the evening.

But DISASTER. While munchkin was having a bath (or a good drink of the bath water more like) the power went off. Munchkin had a bath by candle light. I did make sure that he was made aware that posh spas charge good money for a foreign birds to bathe you by candle light. I also made him aware that the nappy change would be extra...loads extra! Anyway, his night time ritual went on without a hitch and I descended the stairs to find T cooking dinner on the hob (as we have an electric oven so all grand plans voided!)

Dinner was served by candle light at the dining table (which we should eat at more often) Midway through the meal I asked if streetlights went off in power cuts as well. I was told they did...so I convinced myself that the light I was seeing outside must be moonlight...ahh..how romantic. Dinner for two by the light of the moon, stars shining down, candles for ambience and the music of the night to serenade us.

We had a really nice time, great conversation and no TV (to distract people that can't multitask). When we stopped conversing to clear away the plates, we both noticed a quiet whirring of what sounded like a pump (this had been going on for a while providing back ground noise - or music of the night). We realised that we had been eating in the dark (well, almost) while the rest of Nailsworth had been with electricity for the past half hour! How time flies when you are having fun!

No comments: